Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A New Chapter...

Last week a co-worker and I were let go from our jobs as coaches.  We were told that things had gotten too big and the gym wanted to take a step back and lighten up on the amount of coaches and clients.  That's ok, I sure as hell didn't like it but it's not my place.  I don't get to make those decisions.
Something really cool that came out of it was all the responses I have received from my clients expressing their unhappiness that I would not be coaching them anymore.  It was really nice.  I hadn't realized how much that meant to me, so thanks everyone, I really enjoyed our time together.  I will continue to keep in touch with you all.
Now I need to decide what's next...
1. Train people out of my house at times that won't disturb my neighbors?
2. Open my own box?
3. Work at another box (already had one interview) and help it grow?
4. Conduct boot camps in a park nearby?
5. A combination of all of the above?
6. Or go back into the corporate world? :(
I'm thinking a combination of 1-5, what do you think?  Let me know.


Stay tuned, coming to you shortly a recap of the Strongman cert in Austin last weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I vote for option 5 - diversification is the most stable form of income.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. I just don't want to be one of those people that has so much going on that they drop the ball and let people down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 2 cents.

    For number one, you need to check your deed restrictions. Not all HOA's allow businesses to be run from home.

    Number 2 sounds great. I am all for it. I think being an entrepreneur is a key to success in today's economy. I also love the open/free structure that CrossFit HQ provides. It won't be easy, but if you are passionate about it, you can have success.

    Number 3. I always think it is good to spend time some where learning the ropes. This is how many fast food chain owners start out. Learning from the ground up.

    Number 4. This is a great option to build clientele without needing a lot of up front money for a gym and equipment. I think it ls a great way to make sure to introduce the elements fist.

    Number 5. If you do number 2, you don't need to do number 3. Number 4 would fall under number 2. Number 1 could fall under number 2, if your deed restrictions permit it.

    Number 6. Still not a bad option. While doing the others. You could take a part time job. Then use the rest to devote to clients. Most gyms have a 4 hour window (approximately) with no activity during the day. So you cold do both.

    I hope you find something you love doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff Campbell, Thanks.
      Leaning towards the boot camp and personal training clients right now. I was going to market to my neighborhood which is filled with elderly, let them team up with a friend and go to their house.
      I currently have enough bars, plates, etc for about 7 people to use at once, I'm just leery of making the jump to a rental space.
      I know my HOA won't allow it. I had been training friends and neighbors for free for a couple of years and no one said anything but it was a small amount of people.

      Delete