Sunday, October 7, 2012

Get Unplugged!

I saw this spoken word video last night and it rang true to me.








I used to be in sales management, my phone would go off from 6 am till about 10:30-11 pm as well as on the weekends.  My son would be talking to me or we would be having dinner and I would put my family (the most important thing in the world) on hold for a stupid call.  I am so grateful that I was laid off since I would never have quit on my own.  It has allowed us to have a better quality of life together.  I still get to many emails and check them to often or jump on Facebook to much.  Jane is much better at it than me, she might check her emails once or twice a day and hardly ever gets on Facebook, her only electronic habit is the TV.  Liam would watch cartoons or play games all weekend if we let him.
Our society spends more time looking at some sort of screen than at our loved ones faces.  I have a challenge for anyone who reads this....unplug for one weekend.  If it has a screen you can't use it and only use the phone if someone calls you- no out going calls.  Can you, will you do it?  Spend the time outside or reading, play some board games together.  We have done this before and you would be amazed what a great weekend you will have.  I think your family/friends are worth it, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment